- bear hug
- noun1. a wrestling hold with arms locked tightly around the opponent• Hypernyms: ↑wrestling hold2. a takeover bid so attractive that the directors of the target company must approve it or risk shareholder protest• Hypernyms: ↑takeover attempt
* * *noun: a rough tight embrace; specifically : a wrestling hold in which a contestant facing his opponent locks his arms around the opponent's back and forces him backwards to the mat
* * *1. a forcefully or heartily tight embrace.2. Wrestling. a hold in which one contestant locks both arms around the other from the front in order to make the opponent fall backward.[1920-25]
* * *bear hug noun1. A hold in which one wraps one's arms tightly around one's opponent's arms and upper body (wrestling)2. A similar tight hug• • •Main Entry: ↑bear
* * *an act of putting your arms around someone and holding them tightly, because you are happy to see them or you want to show that you like them a lotThesaurus: expressing affection physicallysynonym changes in colour that show how you are feelinghyponym
* * *bear hug,1. a crushing grasp of its victim by the forelegs of a bear.2. a wrestling hold patterned on this, in which pressure is steadily applied to force the air out of the lungs.3. Figurative. any rough or powerful embrace: »
The two friends greeted each other with bear hugs and much boisterous laughter.
* * *n. a rough, tight embrace
* * *noun, pl ⋯ hugs [count]: a strong and rough hug : an act of showing affection by putting your arms around someone and squeezing very tightly
He gave his brother a bear hug.
* * *ˈbear hug [bear hug] nounan act of showing affection for sb by holding them very tightly and strongly in your arms
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bear Hug — Chris Masters qui prend Shawn Michaels en Bear hug. Bear hug est au catch une prise de soumission du dos et du torse consistant à ceinturer le corps de l adversaire avec les bras à partir du dos. L attaquant se tient devant l adversaire puis il… … Wikipédia en Français
bear hug — (n.) 1876, from BEAR (Cf. bear) (n.) + HUG (Cf. hug) (n.) … Etymology dictionary
bear hug — bear hugs N COUNT A bear hug is a rather rough, tight, affectionate hug … English dictionary
bear hug — n an action in which you put your arms around someone and hold them very tightly because you like them or are pleased to see them … Dictionary of contemporary English
bear hug — bear ,hug noun count an act of putting your arms around someone and holding them tightly, because you are happy to see them or you want to show that you like them a lot … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
bear hug — bear′ hug n. a forcefully or heartily tight embrace • Etymology: 1920–25 … From formal English to slang
bear hug — ► NOUN ▪ a rough, tight embrace … English terms dictionary
Bear hug — In wrestling, the bear hug (also known as a bodylock) is a grappling term for a clinch hold and stand up grappling position where the arms are wrapped around the opponent, either around the opponent s chest, midsection, or thighs; sometimes with… … Wikipedia
bear hug — Often used in risk arbitrage. hostile takeover attempt in which the acquirer offers an exceptionally large premium over the market value of the acquiree s shares so as to as to squeeze (hug) the target company into acceptance. Bloomberg Financial … Financial and business terms
Bear hug — Chris Masters qui prend Shawn Michaels en Bear hug. Bear hug aussi connu comme un bodyblock est une prise du dos et du torse consistant à ceinturer le corps de l adversaire avec les bras à partir du dos, utilisé en grappling. On peut ceinturer… … Wikipédia en Français